Monday, July 1, 2013

Just in Case

I didn't intentionally take a hiatus, but we've had a really crazy month of planned and unplanned travel.

We've worked through the disappointments of having to turn down our dream house and losing LJ's sister to another family. We are, currently, in a state of fulfillment. We are enjoying our family and taking in the best part of living in Michigan...summer (Ben would actually argue that it's fall)! We know that our family won't always be this size, so we're enjoying the time, while we have it. In the past month, the boys finished their first year of preschool, attended their first VBS, Ty turned four, and we just got back from our annual vacation, "up north".


You might remember me blogging about this trip, last year, because LJ had a very difficult time. He had only been living with us for three months at that point and didn't understand the concept of vacation...He cried every night to go home...wherever and with whomever that might have been - we didn't know.

This year's experience was wildly different. He's different.


Truth be told, he's hardly recognizable. After the week was up, on the way home, LJ said, "Mom, I really want to go home." No sadness; just readiness. Unlike his shaky understanding of what home meant when he cried for it, last year, he knows home, now...and knows we'll always go back. He knows family and that we're always going to be it.

Such an incredible transformation.

When we got home, we had a large envelope from Lutheran Social Services waiting for us. Our renewal application for our foster license. My heart did more of a flop than a flip. I'm really enjoying time with just the boys, right now. I flashed the packet at Ben and said, "Do you want to renew this thing? We're going to have to renew it, again, once we move."

It was my way of saying, "It's okay if we pass, right now."

My level-headed, quietly passionate husband said, "Yah. We better. Just in case."

Just in case....

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing the transformation that has taken place. The Lord has great things for your family. Cannot wait to see it unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! Love that this year's vacation was a different experience for everyone but especially for LJ.

    We're actually heading up north soon, too!

    Happy Summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your words about LJ's transformation. As I move forward with some work for foster parent training in my area (we may get a grant to do more/better!), I may be in contact with you. I want every other foster parent to be YOU lol! And I love how Ben balances you out...makes me smile every time:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading updates on your boys. As far as renewing things you know better than anyone it will happen in Gods time!

    Happy Summer!
    www.hesourheartshesourhero.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete