Monday, December 12, 2011

Ben


This is my husband. And boy do I love him...

I walked in commencement for my master's, this weekend, on his birthday. He never complained. 

I could feel his pride as I walked the stage and spent the next two hours of the ceremony reliving some of our moments. I have always had huge vision and lofty goals. In high school, Ben would say, "I just want to spend my life carrying your luggage from adventure to adventure."

Back then I thought it highly romantic, today I see the sacrifice in his heart. His loyalty is fierce and friendship faithful. He really had no idea what he was signing up for when he picked me.

I thought through our successes and failures as a family. The high highs and low lows.

There were several moments through my program where I almost quit. Working, schooling, and mothering was enough to get me to the edge of breakdown within minutes. When the tears started to peak, Ben would say, "You can do this. You only have __ more months left. The end is in sight" or "You're either going to be 30 with a son and graduate degree or you're going to be 30 with a son and no degree - it's your choice."

God gave me Ben. He is a gift to my life, a constant cheerleader, a forever friend. He's funny and generous and kind. His heart is tender and mind quick. Ty is just like him.

I'm shouting thankfulness to heaven for the man created for God, but living with me.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! He seems like such a keeper! ;)
    Way to go and job well done!!! and.....Happy Birthday Ben!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!!! and what a beautiful post to Ben!!

    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, and I think you know I have always admired your relationship with Ben. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! Such an amazing accomplishment...and I can only imagine how difficult it was but YOU did it. I have husband named Ben and he sounds so much like yours. Must be something about the name, "Ben".
    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's rare to see what you have when you have it. But, through my own tears, your post made me smile big. You are a woman I admire. Keep holding on to those blessings and praising God for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet post and I love the picture of you and Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebekah-
    I recently found your blog. I love your honesty, and your faith. Congratulations on your degree!!!
    "His loyalty is fierce and friendship faithful. He really had no idea what he was signing up for when he picked me."---These words could have come out of my own mouth, about my husband. It's such a blessing to have a hubby who is behind you 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebekah: I know this is late, but wanted to wish you a huge CONGRATULATIONS. What an accomplishment and what a blessing to have such a wonderful man of God in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Master Ty has been blessed with two wonderful parents. Congrats on your accomplishment. Congrats on being blessed with Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (happy dance)Yaaaaay!!! You made it hun!!! Congratulations....Continue to walk in the path that God has ordained for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your degree. I am so proud of you, Rebekah. And this is such a sweet tribute to Ben. He looks so handsome and you look so happy and beautiful. Good work team.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post brought tears to my eyes. I can only try to understand how hard it was to accomplish what you did. Im so happy for you. And by the way, you look so pretty in that picture. It reminds me of the first time I saw you when Kris pointed me towards your blog in the begening. It was that smile that drew me in. Congrats on everything you have accomplished.

    Much love,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been catching up with you, so glad to see all the smiles.

    (HUGS)

    Hope

    ReplyDelete